Honey BBQ Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Grill: 40 min.
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- Pat chicken dry. Combine rub ingredients. Rub over chicken pieces; refrigerate, covered, in a shallow dish 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine sauce ingredients, adding cayenne if desired. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, to allow flavors to blend, 8-10 minutes.
- On an oiled grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over indirect medium heat, turning frequently, until a thermometer reads 165°, 35-45 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Brush chicken with sauce, reserving 1/2 cup. Cook, covered, until chicken pieces register 170°, 4-6 minutes. Serve with reserved sauce.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 chicken leg quarter: 466 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1542mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 30g protein.
Oct 8, 2017
Really great flavor and really easy to make! A keeper.
Oct 1, 2017
Great sauce! I would eat that on anything. This was a huge hit at our family's Labor Day barbecue.
Sep 18, 2017
Great recipe. Love both the dry rub and the sauce. Both compliment each other with a wonderful mix of Spice, sweet and Tang. The cinnamon just adds a nice Pop to the Chicken . Sauce is nice and thick for even coating. I used wings. I grilled them on a stove top grill pan then finished them off in the oven, This recipe would work well with other meats and it would make for an excellent Meat Loaf topping *I recommend this one as a Must try *Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor
Sep 13, 2017
Excellent! Sauce is delicious. I have also made sauce and poured over chicken and baked. Would be good on pork roast too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.