Honey BBQ Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Grill: 40 min.
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- Pat chicken dry. Combine rub ingredients. Rub over chicken pieces; refrigerate, covered, in a shallow dish 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine sauce ingredients, adding cayenne if desired. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, to allow flavors to blend, 8-10 minutes.
- On an oiled grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over indirect medium heat, turning frequently, until a thermometer reads 165°, 35-45 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Brush chicken with sauce, reserving 1/2 cup. Cook, covered, until chicken pieces register 170°-175°, 4-6 minutes. Serve with reserved sauce.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 chicken leg quarter: 466 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1542mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 30g protein.
Oct 8, 2017
Really great flavor and really easy to make! A keeper.
Oct 1, 2017
Great sauce! I would eat that on anything. This was a huge hit at our family's Labor Day barbecue.
Sep 18, 2017
Great recipe. Love both the dry rub and the sauce. Both compliment each other with a wonderful mix of Spice, sweet and Tang. The cinnamon just adds a nice Pop to the Chicken . Sauce is nice and thick for even coating. I used wings. I grilled them on a stove top grill pan then finished them off in the oven, This recipe would work well with other meats and it would make for an excellent Meat Loaf topping *I recommend this one as a Must try *Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor
Sep 13, 2017
Excellent! Sauce is delicious. I have also made sauce and poured over chicken and baked. Would be good on pork roast too.