Honey Orange Chicken
"I couldn't get enough of the sweet-and-citrusy marinade flavoring this grilled chicken," says Mary Hart Easterling, Santa Clarita, California. "So I saved some to drizzle on top."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (10 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Chopped green onions, orange slices and parsley sprigs, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool. Pour 1-1/3 cups marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4-8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 12-15 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and water in a small saucepan until smooth; stir in reserved marinade. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove and discard skin from chicken. Serve chicken over rice; drizzle with sauce. Garnish with green onions, orange slices and parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 504 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Honey Orange Chicken in Light & Tasty April/May 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.