Spicy Orange Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 large navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Hot cooked rice
- Sesame seeds and thinly sliced green onions
- Finely grate peel from one orange; place peel in a small bowl. Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of each orange; stand oranges upright on a cutting board. With a knife, cut off peel and outer membrane from oranges. Working over the small bowl with orange peel to catch juices, cut along the membrane of each segment to remove fruit; set sectioned oranges aside. Stir cornstarch, broth, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, lemon juice, jalapeno and pepper flakes into orange juice and peel.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken; stir-fry 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in reserved orange sections. Serve with rice. Sprinkle servings with sesame seeds and green onions.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 3, 2019
I was excited to try this. I loved the fresh oranges idea but the sauce came out too vinegary for my taste. I may try making it again with about half the rice vinegar.
Jan 3, 2018
I've been craving Chinese take-out, but one of my resolutions is to eat at home and avoid going out to eat or getting take out. Of course, I turned to TOH Take Out Fake Out for a make at home version. I was really thinking of making General Tso's Chicken, and this was as close as I could find, so I decided to give this a try. I am soooo glad that I did! I had chicken thighs on hand, so I used them in place of the chicken breasts - worked great! I also had a 5 lb bag of Cuties (tangelos), so I used some of them for the sectioned oranges. I followed the recipe exactly from there. I will definitely be making this again. The only thing I might do differently is to up the amount of chicken broth to a cup and probably 3 T of cornstarch so that there is more of the yummy sauce. My husband had this over rice, and while I would have loved it that way, I had mine over steamed broccoli to keep down the carbs. Delicious! Thanks for submitting this, Paula.Lynne, TOH Volunteer Field Editor