Sweet Orange Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2/3 cup orange marmalade
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- Hot cooked rice or rice noodles, optional
- Place flour in a dish or bowl; add chicken, a few pieces at a time, tossing to coat. Place in a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange marmalade, barbecue sauce, soy sauce and ginger; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low until chicken juices run clear, 6-8 hours. Serve with rice or noodles if desired. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without rice or noodles): 379 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 962mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 23, 2017
My wife and I very much enjoyed this easy recipe.
Mar 2, 2015
The tasty is a little heavy on the orange flavor, but my husband and I enjoyed it. Probably not one for the kids, as it's a little too tangy. But definitely a good "date night" recipe to try.
May 4, 2013
We both found this indelible. May have been because Hickory smoked flavour BBQ sauce was used. I am now not convinced that any BBQ SAUCE would go with marmalade. Sorry to be so negative. My taste Level: includessophisticated gourmet and Internat'l food as well as simpler levels
Apr 26, 2013
Any time I can find a good slow cooker recipe, I'll save it. I modified it slightly by using boneless, skinless breasts, thighs and legs. Saves a lot of time not having to cut-up & skin chicken. I used Smucker's marmalade & KC Masterpiece Bar B Q sauce.