Roasted Honey Mustard Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 1-3/4 hours + standing
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chicken seasoning
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk the first 6 ingredients until blended. Pour 1 cup marinade into a large bowl or shallow dish. Add chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade in bowl. Preheat oven to 450°. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Roast 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine potatoes, carrots, rosemary, oil, chicken seasoning, salt and pepper. Add to roasting pan; reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Roast until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 1-1/2 - 1-3/4 hours, adding the lemon slices during the last 15 minutes of roasting and brushing occasionally with reserved marinade. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving; discard rosemary sprigs.
Test kitchen note
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked chicken with 1 cup vegetables: 654 calories, 31g fat (7g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 919mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.
Nov 14, 2019
Easy to make. I used a chicken-breast with bone in and skin. Added sweet potatoes to the vegetables. Thaw the chicken when marinating it.
Jul 9, 2019
Unless the marinade touched the meat the chicken really did not have any flavor. Suppose it would have been different if we ate the skin but- not. The marinade was super easy to mix up and did taste great as I said on the actual meat. My husband said it was an "ok dish" so this time will be the last time.
May 11, 2019
I made this and my husband nearly lost his mind. He asked that I definitely make it again!
Apr 13, 2019
I loved the way the honey caramelized on the skin of the chicken and the slices of lemon brightened up the bird, both eye appealing and tasty.
Mar 27, 2019
This was quite good, however, I do think it would be better with individual chicken pieces as opposed to the whole chicken. I felt it lost a decent amount of the honey mustard sauce after it was carved.