Honey-Roasted Chicken & Root Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons honey, divided
- 3 peeled medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 4 medium peeled carrots, chopped
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Sprinkle half the seasoning mixture over chicken breasts. Add to skillet; cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside. Add wine and 2 tablespoons honey to pan; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits.
- Combine sweet potatoes, carrots and fennel in a microwave-safe bowl. Add remaining olive oil, seasonings and honey to vegetables; stir to combine. Microwave, covered, until potatoes are just tender, 10 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a shallow roasting pan. Add chicken stock, wine mixture and bay leaves; top vegetables with chicken. Roast until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, 25-30 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 432 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 543mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Dec 29, 2018
I fully enjoyed this meal! I didn't microwave the vegetables, but but put them in the oven with foil over the pan while Browning the chicken. It worked out wonderfully! Oh, yeah. I did add some pearled onions sliced in half.
Jan 1, 2018
I love it absolutely wonderful
Oct 22, 2017
Delicious! I added more fennel, for we really like it. One of these comfort food dishes that you don't have to measure! I like that.
Dec 31, 2016
We used regular honey and it wasn't as sweet as I was afraid it might be. Even our family member who doesn't like honey liked this recipe. We aren't particularly fond of fennel, so I substituted other root vegetables. I've found this is good with carrots, turnips, and winter squash as well!
Dec 9, 2016
This was delicious! Unlike the other two reviewers, I made this recipe as stated. The chicken was tender and the vegetables were cooked to perfection. I do not like sweet potatoes, but in this recipe, I devoured them. I couldn't believe how good they were. My husband wanted the vegetables a little sweeter, but I thought they were great just the way they were. This is a keeper and I will be making it again for sure!
Oct 20, 2016
I did not have any honey, so I used honey mustard dressing on the chicken instead. I also did not precook the vegetables in the microwave. After browning the chicken, I put the root vegetables raw on the sheet pan, then put the chicken and roasted for 30 minutes. Everything was done at the same time. The other substitution I used was sweet onions instead of fennel. My family does not like fennel.
Oct 14, 2016
Very delicious and flavorful recipe! It smelled like Thanksgiving dinner while I was cooking this! I was short on time, so I did simplify the directions. I skipped the pan searing and placed all the ingredients-minus the butter and olive oil- in a covered casserole dish. I baked the chicken at 300 degrees for one hour. The chicken was tender and the flavors were amazing!