Honey-Roasted Chicken & Root Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons honey, divided
- 3 peeled medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 4 medium peeled carrots, chopped
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Sprinkle half the seasoning mixture over chicken breasts. Add to skillet; cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove. Add wine and 2 tablespoons honey to pan; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits.
- Combine sweet potatoes, carrots and fennel in a microwave-safe bowl. Add remaining olive oil, seasonings and honey to vegetables; stir to combine. Microwave, covered, until potatoes are just tender, 10 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a foil-lined 15x10-in. baking pan. Add chicken stock, wine mixture and bay leaves; top vegetables with chicken. Roast until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165° 25-30 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 432 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 543mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Jan 1, 2018
I love it absolutely wonderful
Oct 22, 2017
Delicious! I added more fennel, for we really like it. One of these comfort food dishes that you don't have to measure! I like that.
Dec 31, 2016
We used regular honey and it wasn't as sweet as I was afraid it might be. Even our family member who doesn't like honey liked this recipe. We aren't particularly fond of fennel, so I substituted other root vegetables. I've found this is good with carrots, turnips, and winter squash as well!
Dec 9, 2016
This was delicious! Unlike the other two reviewers, I made this recipe as stated. The chicken was tender and the vegetables were cooked to perfection. I do not like sweet potatoes, but in this recipe, I devoured them. I couldn't believe how good they were. My husband wanted the vegetables a little sweeter, but I thought they were great just the way they were. This is a keeper and I will be making it again for sure!
Oct 20, 2016
I did not have any honey, so I used honey mustard dressing on the chicken instead. I also did not precook the vegetables in the microwave. After browning the chicken, I put the root vegetables raw on the sheet pan, then put the chicken and roasted for 30 minutes. Everything was done at the same time. The other substitution I used was sweet onions instead of fennel. My family does not like fennel.
Oct 14, 2016
Very delicious and flavorful recipe! It smelled like Thanksgiving dinner while I was cooking this! I was short on time, so I did simplify the directions. I skipped the pan searing and placed all the ingredients-minus the butter and olive oil- in a covered casserole dish. I baked the chicken at 300 degrees for one hour. The chicken was tender and the flavors were amazing!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.