Grilled Barbecued Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 35 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (4 to 5 pounds), skin removed
- In a bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate 1/3 cup for basting. Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; add remaining marinade. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Grill chicken, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes. Turn; grill 15-25 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 476 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 1147mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 50g protein.
May 31, 2018
Easy to prepare and delicious! The chicken was juicy and tender. The marinade gives a wonderful flavor, but isn’t too much. I made this with boneless skinless chicken breasts and pork chops. Both meats were excellent.
Oct 6, 2017
My Husband grilled this recipe last night and it was a hit! He is so picky, but he said I would do this again. Yes!
May 17, 2017
I prepared this recipe tonight and it is delicious. I followed the recipe and used sriracha sauce for the hot pepper sauce. I only used one chicken breast for hubby and I to split so halved the ingredients. This chicken was so tender and moist and had the most delicious flavor. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor
May 6, 2015
Loved it! Have made again and again
Jan 19, 2015
Really good! This is probably the only marinade I have ever made with melted butter. It was surprisingly a good addition. It seemed to help crisp up the skin, providing a nice texture.
Feb 23, 2014
So good! Everyone loved it. Was just as good on steak. This will be my go-to marinade.
Feb 2, 2013
Wow. We made this for a party and got rave reviews. Delicious!
Jun 9, 2012
Amazing recipe! I made this for a large family gathering, and everybody loved it. To save time, I coarsely chopped the onion and threw all of the marinade ingredients into the blender to make everything smooth.
Aug 8, 2011
I don't usually take the time to write a review after a recipe, but I had to come back to this one! I did the marinade all day and this was so moist and delicious. I did not take the time to cut up garlic and used powder instead...just as good. I think you could also use onion powder instead if you don't want the chunks in the marinade. Either way, this is delicious and we will most definitely make this again. I do suggest pounding the chicken first to make for extra moist meat.I wonder if there is an equal substitute for the butter to make it less fattening?
Jun 1, 2010
My two year old loved this! She normally doesn't eat much meat at all but wanted thirds of this great recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.