Barbecued Chicken Pizzas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.
Makes2 pizzas (4 pieces each)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper; place on an oiled grill rack over medium heat. Grill, covered, until a thermometer reads 165°, 5-7 minutes per side, basting frequently with 1/2 cup barbecue sauce during the last 4 minutes. Cool slightly. Cut into cubes.
- Divide dough in half. On a well-greased large sheet of heavy-duty foil, press each portion of dough into a 10x8-in. rectangle; brush lightly with oil. Invert dough onto grill rack; peel off foil. Grill, covered, over medium heat until bottom is lightly browned, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from grill. Spread grilled sides with remaining barbecue sauce. Top with cheese, chicken and onion. Grill, covered, until bottom is lightly browned and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 339 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 956mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Jun 27, 2017
I made this using half mozzarella and half sharp white cheddar (one of my kids can't eat gouda) and it turned out great! This is a keeper!
Mar 12, 2017
Delicious,, The chicken and the Gouda compliment each other very well. I would not change a thing.
Sep 10, 2016
I never knew you could grill pizza until hurricane andrew blew thru florida years ago. I took premade pizza out of freezer so it wouldn't go bad and put it on the grill. The result was as good as oven baked if not better as the crust got crispier.this recipe was good but I would combine two cheeses ( mozz and gouda) to balance it out.
May 26, 2016
I used frank's bbq sauce. So good and so simple. And so easy, how did I not think of this?
Jul 6, 2015
This is a fantastic recipe.
May 3, 2015
Great recipe, I'm a fan of the smoked provolone. Also, if you have bacon on hand cut up 3-4 strips, par-fry it nearly done then drain on paper towels. Sprinkle on the top of the pizza. This adds more depth and flavor to the pizza!
Jul 30, 2014
We thought these were great- and SO SIMPLE! I don't measure anything- just throw the toppings to your liking. A good bbq sauce makes all the difference. Don't skip the cilantro- it adds a great depth of flavor amongst the caramelized onions. I just used Italian cheese as that is what I had on hand. Keep the grill on a low temp as the crust cooks very fast.
Jul 10, 2014
Adapted this like many others to the oven at 425 at about 15 min. I didn't realize you couldn't use smoked Gouda cheese, as it's waxy consistency won't melt. That being said, I researched online, you can use Applewood Gouda which is a creamier melting cheese. That was the main reason I rated this recipe down. It was great with my favorite. Bull's Eye BBQ sauce. May try again with a different Gouda or maybe a mozzarella and cheddar mix.
Feb 27, 2014
I used mozzarella instead of Gouda and a pre-made Gluten Free crust. I also baked it instead of grilled. This pizza was a perfect way to infuse the winter with bright, summer flavor!
Aug 16, 2013
I rated this 5 stars because it was an excellent recipe. However, my DH would have to have 1 slice and a couple of tablespoons and that would be the end of any sodium for the entire day. I did very few things different and cut my sodium down to 255mg per slice. I left out the 1/4 t salt, changed the gouda to 1 cup (8 oz) of shredded swiss and used a ready-made low sodium crust. I also made a bbq sauce with 1/4 c brown sugar and 3/4c salt-free ketchup. Sometimes I make a crust with no sodium but others I love to be able to throw everything together quickly. I also always make an extra chicken breast when we are having them for something, cool it and chop it up to store in the freezer til I'm ready to make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.