Smoky Grilled Chicken
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Grill: 45 min.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), quartered
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar, mustard and coffee in hot water. Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke if desired. Reserve 1 cup for basting; refrigerate remaining sauce.
- Grill chicken, covered, on an oiled rack over medium heat for 30 minutes, turning and basting with sauce frequently. Grill, covered, 15 minutes longer, turning and basting occasionally or until juices run clear. Serve with reserved sauce.
Nutrition Facts14 ounce-weight: 516 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 50g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 15, 2015
Directions are a bit confusing. This makes a lot of sauce. My take on the directions is make the sauce to use some as a marinate and some to baste chicken while grilling. I filled a jar with more than half . The rest I marinated the chicken overnight. Excellent flavor. The sauce can be used on any meat you grill or BBQ!
Jul 3, 2015
Jun 25, 2015
This was great! Definitely had a distinctive "smoky" taste! So good!
May 24, 2014
Finger-lickin' good is not an overstatement! I caught my husband dipping his finger in the sauce and licking them. It's that good! Thank you for sharing!
Apr 19, 2014
This is the best Chicken ever!! Friends and family love it, and it's so easy! The sauce is great, use it for other barbecue. This chicken will impress any guests!
Jul 24, 2013
gary0452......what is so confusing for you. Seems like a rather simple recipe to follow. Maybe it is just a rookie mistake?
Jul 24, 2013
very tasty easy to make, maybe a bit ketchupy
Jul 21, 2013
Recipe is simple. You MOISTEN a paper towel with oil. You the pick up the paper towel with long handle tongs. You then wipe the oil coated paper towel on the grill to grease it. Once you start grilling the chicken on the oiled grill you BASTE the chicken with the BBQ sauce. I tried it for dinner and it was very good. Everyone liked the flavor.
Jul 20, 2013
sause or not to sause, marinade or not to marinade? Whats the paper towel for? never could grill a paper towel, they have a bad habit of bursting into flames!! instructions very confusing.
Jul 20, 2013
Yup, when do you grill and when do you sause, Do you marinade or not Marinade?wHATS THE PAPER TOWEL FOR?? never was able to grill a paper towel they seem to burst into flames, Very poor instructions!!