Tender Barbecued Chicken
After a long day at work, a slow-cooked meal is a great help. One of my family's favorites is this moist slow-simmered chicken. For an appealing look, choose a darker brown barbecue sauce. —Jacqueline Blanton, Gaffney, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup cola
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil in batches. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion and lemon slices. Combine barbecue sauce and cola; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices; serve with chicken.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with K.C. Masterpiece brand barbecue sauce. Health Tip: Most of the sodium comes from the generous amount of prepared barbecue sauce in this recipe. Use half the barbecue sauce and cola to reduce the sodium.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 533 calories, 27g fat (6g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 1157mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 44g protein.
Originally published as Tender Barbecued Chicken in Quick Cooking March/April 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.