Tender Barbecued Chicken
After a long day at work, a slow-cooked meal is a great help. One of my family's favorites is this moist slow-simmered chicken. For an appealing look, choose a darker brown barbecue sauce. —Jacqueline Blanton, Gaffney, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup cola
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil in batches. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion and lemon slices. Combine barbecue sauce and cola; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices; serve with chicken.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with K.C. Masterpiece brand barbecue sauce. Health Tip: Most of the sodium comes from the generous amount of prepared barbecue sauce in this recipe. Use half the barbecue sauce and cola to reduce the sodium.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked chicken: 478 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 965mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Jun 23, 2019
This was good and easy to do. The lemon flavor is very bold (it was sliced very thin which may have contributed to its strong flavor). I think it would taste good with an orange and will try that next time.