Spicy Barbecued Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add chili sauce, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon seasoning blend and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix mustard, chili powder and remaining seasoning blend and cayenne; rub over chicken. Lightly coat grill rack with cooking oil.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4 minutes. Turn; grill 4-6 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165°, brushing tops occasionally with chili sauce mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half : 179 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 293mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 8, 2015
Didn't change anything. Really liked this. We made it over Labor Day and it was great!!! We didn't find it to spicy at all, even my 4 and 8 year old loved it.
Aug 5, 2015
flavor is great! I think it would really be good on wings.
Jul 17, 2015
We had this delicious chicken tonight and it was delicious. I think next time I may cut back on the cayenne but it was not overly spicy for us. It was very easy to prepare and grill. We will be having this again. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor.
Dec 22, 2014
Delicious! I did make a few changes since my husband doesn't like spicy foods. I used 1/8 t of cayenne in the sauce, and in the rub, I only used 1 t of chili powder and omitted the cayenne. I also baked the chicken in the oven at 400 for 25 mins. I baked it without sauce the first 10 mins, then basted the chicken with sauce and baked it the rest if the way.
Oct 3, 2014
Very spicy, will cut down on the spice next time.
Aug 25, 2013
Delicious and very spicy!
Jun 28, 2013
Very good on chicken, and I'm going to try it on pork!
Jun 26, 2013
I made this some time ago and I really liked it, as did the family. It's really low sodium. I did use a little less cayenne pepper and chili powder but only because of our tastes.
Jun 26, 2013
The stars didn't come up to use. It's a five. And thank you, thank you for giving the $ Savings thingy. I use that!!!
Jul 17, 2011
Very tasty! The sauce was easy to make, and I even substituted a spicy BBQ Sauce for the chili sauce and it turned out great! I might cut back a little bit on the Cayenne Pepper as it was just a touch too spicy. However, it was delicious and I will definitely be making it again!