Oven Barbecued Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Place chicken in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake, uncovered, 45-60 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked chicken: 302 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 21g protein.
Oct 23, 2018
We LOVE this recipe! The sauce is awesome. I use this recipe for BBQ ribs too.
Apr 14, 2018
I tried this recipe back in 1994 when one of the 1st TOH cookbooks came out. It is my go to time and time again. My family loves the flavor and I use legs and thighs. Served with garlic mashed potatoes, veggie or salad and hot cornbread!
Dec 22, 2017
will try this using boneless chicken and bake without browning first as another person did.
Sep 17, 2017
I don't know... It didn't exactly excite us...I probably won't make it again.. It wasn't a 5 star in my books... try Taste of homes seafood lasagna... now that is a 5 star!
Jul 4, 2017
This is the first barbecued chicken I have fixed in TOH and one of the best! The flavors come together so nicely! We love this chicken!
Jul 25, 2016
very good and easy. I also just used breasts and baked for an hour with perfectly done chicken as the outcome. will definitely make again.
Jan 9, 2016
Who needs bottled barbecue sauce with this easy to make and tasty recipe? I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but didn't brown them. I put them in a pan, poured the sauce over them and baked it at 350 for 1 hour.
Jan 5, 2016
I made this for dinner last night and was not disappointed! Everyone in the family enjoyed it. The sauce is the perfect mix of tangy and sweet, and the chicken was perfectly tender after the 45 minutes. There was a breast leftover, and I thinly sliced it and coated it with leftover sauce for an amazing chicken sandwich for lunch today! This will definitely become part of the regular rotation.
Oct 19, 2015
great flavor and very easy to make. will make again.
Jul 9, 2015
Delicious! I used bone-in thigh/leg pieces and cut them to separate the thighs from the legs to make four servings of two pieces each. Easy recipe with great results!