Tangy Tender Chicken
Brown sugar, garlic and ginger provide the traditional sweet-sour flavor in this chicken medley. "The aroma is heavenly after working outside all day," says Milton Schutz of Pandora, Ohio.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the carrots, green pepper and onion. Top with chicken. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Place pineapple over chicken. Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, bouillon, salt, ginger and garlic powder to pineapple juice; pour over pineapple. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices. Cook 30 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened, stirring once. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 295 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 732mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Tangy Tender Chicken in Quick Cooking July/August 2001
Sep 29, 2013
I thought it was just OK. My husband, who lives Chinese, did not like it.
Mar 3, 2013
So fast to put together & let the crock pot do the cooking. I served over rice. uum good. I love new recipes to try & this is a keeper.