Sweet ‘n’ Tangy Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine onion and garlic; top with chicken. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, lemon juice, basil, salt, pepper and pepper sauce; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts12 ounce-weight: 385 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 892mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 30, 2018
I'm always looking for good slow cooker recipes and this one doesn't disappoint. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cooked it on low for about four hours. I didn't bother to thicken the sauce; it was good just as it was, although next time I'll try thickening it. Served it over rice. Really tasty! Will keep this recipe handy!
Jun 23, 2015
Delicious! This chicken was done in 3.5 hours in my 3 qt crockpot. I made a couple of changes, I cut the chili powder amount in half and doubled the lemon juice. I didn't thicken the sauce, we just ate it straight out of the crockpot.
Jan 14, 2015
Cooked mine for 4 1/2 hours--came out great! I used 1/3 cup of coarsely chopped onion--next time I will use fine chopped onion because my family didn't like the "detectable" pieces of onion--they are not big onion fans. This makes about double the amount of sauce that is needed, so you could probably increase the amount of chicken for company. The amount in the recipe fed four adults with a couple pieces left over.
Aug 6, 2014
Amazing flavor and very tender chicken! Used all chicken legs in mine. Next time will try boneless/skinless chicken thighs and cook on low 4 - 4/12 hrs.
Jan 29, 2014
Really enjoyed this, but not sure it was tangy. Maybe next time I'll add more lemon juice as another reviewer suggested.
Sep 17, 2013
did not adjust anything ! ..cannot wait to make it..thnx Joan Airey :)
Apr 29, 2013
I made a few changes in this recipe. I first microwaved the onions and garlic on medium for 5 minutes. I used boneless skinless breast for the chicken. For chili powder, I used chipotle. I didn't think 1 tbsp. lemon juice would give enough tang, especially since I was using Meyer juice. I increased it to 6 tbsp. If using regular lemons, I would try using 3 tbsp.The result was a nice tangy flavor which complimented the chipotle powder nicely.
Mar 17, 2013
I loved this recipe! Minor changes I made: only had 1/2 tsp. left of chili powder plus omitted salt and hot pepper sauce. I have some sauce left over so will use it tonight over rice with dinner. I will make this again often!
Dec 31, 2012
This was good served with mashed potatoes and green beans.
Oct 11, 2012
Yummy! I added the corn starch/water directly to the crock pot about 15 minutes before serving - the sauce came out perfectly.