Tangy Glazed Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sprinkle chicken with salt if desired. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; brown chicken on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the pan drippings, saute onion and celery until tender. Add the remaining ingredients; cook and stir until jelly is melted. Return chicken to pan. Cook, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove skin if desired. Top chicken with onion mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 505 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
Feb 12, 2018
Excellent flavors. The sweetness of the onion was a great addition.
Oct 25, 2014
The flavor of this chicken was very good. I can see this becoming a favorite and one that I will enjoy serving guests.
Mar 9, 2014
This is excellent. I used chicken thighs. They turned out wonderful. This is going to become a family favorite.
Dec 31, 2012
This was awsome, we love it. I did put cornstarch in the sauce to thicken it up a little and added more apple jelly for more flavor. Everybody loved it and they were looking for more when it was gone. I will be making it again for sure.
Sep 25, 2012
I made this last night. It was great. So happy I was going though some old issues of TOH. I used skinless boneless chicken breast. I did pound them down a little for for even cooking. My husband ask to take leftovers for lunch. That means it was goooood. Thanks for this one. It came out in the October/November 2000 issue. I keep all my issues. Wished I had tried it then.
Aug 1, 2011
This is probably my husband's favorite chicken recipe. I thicken the sauce with 1/2 tsp or more of corn starch so it is not so runny. I also add a bit more apple jelly as needed for that wonderful flavor. I like to serve this with spinach noodles, a veggie and corn muffins.
Jan 26, 2011
I found this recipe years ago in a Taste of Home book and it is my family's favorite meal. I serve this delicious chicken with a creamy rice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.