Tangy Orange Chicken Thighs
Here's a quick-prep recipe for tender, flavorful chicken in a tangy tomato-based sauce. You can easily double or triple the recipe, depending on the size of your slow cooker. —Dahlia Abrams, Detroit, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest, divided
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Stir in 1 teaspoon orange peel. Add chicken; spoon sauce over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove to a serving platter. Stir lemon juice and remaining orange zest into sauce; pour over chicken. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh with 1/2 cup sauce: 248 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Tangy Chicken Thighs in a Crock Pot in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.