Slow-Simmered Chicken with Raisins, Capers and Basil
Capers, golden raisins and fresh basil give this dish a sweetly savory flavor. And what is even better than that? The kids LOVE it. —Nadine Mesch, Mount Healthy, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Hot cooked couscous
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; brown chicken on both sides in batches, adding oil as needed. Transfer chicken to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add wine to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits; pour into slow cooker. Stir mushrooms, red pepper, onion, and tomatoes, raisins and capers into slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, until chicken and vegetables are tender, 4-5 hours. Sprinkle with basil before serving. Serve with hot cooked couscous.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 250 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Slow Simmerd Chicken with Raisins, Capers & Basil in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.