Roasted Chicken with Basil-Rice Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sunflower kernels or chopped almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds)
- In a small skillet, saute celery in butter until crisp-tender. In a large bowl, combine the celery, rice, parsley, green onion, basil, sunflower kernels, salt and pepper. Stuff chicken. Tie drumsticks together with kitchen string if desired. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until juices run clear and a thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before removing stuffing. Remove skin before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 311 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 6, 2017
Simply wonderful! My family loved it and the rice stuffing was amazing!
Jan 28, 2013
My family loved this recipe. I chose it because it had a rice stuffing and is very low in sodium. The chicken came out tender and moist and the rice stuffing not only tasted good but was colorful as well. I will definitely be making it again