Slow-Cooked Greek Chicken Dinner
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 whole garlic bulb, separated and peeled
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Place potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add chicken, onions and garlic; sprinkle with seasonings. Pour 1/2 cup water over top. Drizzle with oil. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and vegetables are tender, 5-6 hours.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Remove chicken and vegetables from slow cooker; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with chicken and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 404 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 21, 2013
I haven't tried this recipe yet but am planning on fixing it today. I really sounds like a delicious and easy recipe. I think I will add a few less potatoes and add a couple of carrots to it just to give it a little more color since my family likes carrots. It sounds like a winner. I will rate it after I try it.
Sep 14, 2012
I used boneless chicken breasts and doubled the liquid. Everyone in the family enjoyed it and I liked how easy it was!
Apr 24, 2012
I would make this again, but definitely did not make enough gravy for the amount of food that was cooked.
Apr 23, 2011
I LOVE using the slow cooker! Whole chickens can be such a great buy, and the simple ingredients in this recipe are always on hand in my kitchen. The flavors are great and my family loved this dinner! I didn't change a thing. THANKS!
Sep 6, 2009
This sounds super good. I have been wondering what to do about the fryer chicken I picked up on sale last week
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.