Slow-Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- Place carrots, celery and potatoes in a 6-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place lemon halves and garlic in chicken cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place chicken over vegetables in slow cooker, breast side up. Mix together rosemary, lemon juice, oil, paprika and remaining salt in small bowl; rub over chicken.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads at least 170° and vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked chicken with 2/3 cup vegetables: 329 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Jul 22, 2019
Veggies were a little crisp. Will make again.
Feb 14, 2018
Really good !!! Preparation is easy. Second time I've made it ??.
Dec 4, 2017
Really good recipe. My family loved it.
Jan 17, 2017
Chicken was moist but not much flavor.
Jan 17, 2017
I came across this recipe while searching TOH for a light Sunday dinner. My family and I eat a lot of chicken. This dish turned out moist and delicious. I did use more lemon. I loved the flavor.
Dec 6, 2016
I, too, found the flavor of the chicken a little bland and the lemon just wasn't quite right with the dish. Everyone else liked it though. I was not able to remove the chicken from the crock pot as it was already falling off the bone. If I make it again I will omit the lemon and amp up the spices on the chicken.
Dec 3, 2016
I found this fairly bland but my family enjoyed it. Was easy to prepare and it was great to have everything in the one dish. I just feel this needs a bit of a flavour boost to make it just right. Thanks for the recipe.
Feb 24, 2016
I made this roasted in the oven because I doubled the size of recipe for my family and chicken was too big for the crock pot. Meat was juicy and tender, and the lemon flavor was subtle but good. The herb rub was excellent. I made gravy with the pan juices, and it was good over the potatoes and chicken as well. I will use this recipe again.
Feb 16, 2016
I like the concept but the chicken was not very tasty
Jan 24, 2016
The meat was very moist and tender. But it didn't have nearly as much flavor as I was expecting.