Savory Braised Chicken with Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- Sliced French bread baguette, optional
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Dip chicken breasts in bread crumbs to coat both sides; shake off excess.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken in batches; cook 2-4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add broth, tomato paste and seasonings to same pan; cook over medium-high heat, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add vegetables and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. If desired, serve with baguette.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 1 cup vegetable mixture (calculated without baguette): 247 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 703mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Mar 6, 2016
I used yellow squash to hold up a little more than the zucchini but did add the veggies later as someone suggested. I really liked this recipe because it's so versatile. Had to cut down on the salt for my hubby so used broth and tomato paste with no-salt added and a salt substitute for the salt it calls for. Good easy recipe.
Dec 29, 2014
I served this with garlic mashed potatoes. Yum!
Feb 7, 2014
This was wonderful. The chicken came out so juicy and the vegetables were wonderful. I made it exactly as stated and I wouldn't change a thing.
Nov 4, 2013
Yum. This is a very tasty one pot meal. I dipped the chicken in milk before the bread crumbs. The next time I'll add the zucchini and mushrooms a little later in the process.
Oct 23, 2013
Excellent flavors, however the carrots & zucchini turned mushy when cooked with chicken for 25-30 minutes. When I make it next time, I'll add them in later so they won't over-cook. Good healthy dish!