Savory Rubbed Roast Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix the first eight ingredients.
- Pat chicken dry and place on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Rub seasoning mixture over the outside and inside of chicken. Place onion inside cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.) Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked chicken: 272 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
May 18, 2018
This was vary delecious. thank you for proven receipt
Mar 1, 2017
Simple and delicious! I didn't have a white onion so I used 1/2 red onion and a small orange dredged in a little of the rub inside of the cavity. Served with roasted baby potatoes, brussel sprouts and asparagus (Rosemary olive oil and a splash of lavender basalmic) sooo good!
Oct 29, 2016
This was excellent! I loved the rub and the chicken was tender, tasty, and delicious as well as relatively eeasy to make. This recipe is a winner! My husband and I lvoed it.
Sep 13, 2016
Excellent rub for chicken! Well received by family.
Jan 14, 2016
I changed things up a bit in this recipes l. I left out the onion bit doubled the onion powder and I cooked this in my pressure cooker. It cooked perfectly in it and literally fell apart when I pulled it out of there. So tender and moist. This is a great roasting recipe. Simple and easy to follow.
Mar 5, 2015
Excellent Chicken with this Rub. So tasty and tender.
Oct 27, 2013
Good but will definitely put seasoning under the skin too next time.
Jul 5, 2013
I used the rub for roasting chicken on the rotisserie. Added a tad lemon zest to the ingredients; rubbed between skin and breast, thighs, legs and inside. Flavor was pleasing, skin crispy. Also added flavor to broth made from carcass.
Nov 27, 2012
Oct 19, 2012
This is just wonderful!! My husband said it was the BEST chicken I've ever made!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.