Savory Roasted Chicken
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Carefully loosen the skin above the breast meat. Combine the onion salt, thyme, savory, orange zest and pepper; rub half of the herb mixture under the loosened skin. Rub chicken skin with oil; sprinkle with remaining herb mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Remove skin before carving. Skim fat and thicken pan juices for gravy if desired.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 197 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Mar 3, 2014
I used olive oil and it was delicious! I will definitely be making this again! It was so easy!!
Dec 16, 2013
I used olive oil in place of vegetable oil
Jan 13, 2013
Great recipe! Great flavor!! Thanks!!
Feb 13, 2012
This was very good. Everyone loved it, I did not use any gravy but it probably could have used a bit. I will make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.