Sweet and Saucy Chicken
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or egg noodles, optional
- Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in the water, vinegar and soy sauce. Add the ketchup, onion, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with rice or noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 349 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein.
Jun 13, 2018
This is similar to a recipe that I have in which you bake the chicken. It was good, but I would stick to my original recipe over this one.
Sep 5, 2017
I've made this recipe several times and gotten great results every time; compliments from adult guests and a hit with kids. I have one picky eater child, in our family, and this is his favorite meal. The regular (more adventurous) eaters love it, too.
Apr 5, 2016
A tasty,easy dinner, and maybe even better as leftovers
Sep 15, 2015
This had a good taste but my sauce came out really runny. When I cooked it on the stove it was thick but thinned out during the crock pot cooking process. I followed the recipe as written other then I used boneless chicken breasts.
Dec 12, 2014
When the chicken is done, it's so tender it just falls off the bone!
Sep 13, 2014
This was awesome. My husband and I ate this delicious chicken until we were stuffed! Only made two changes. I did not have any white vinegar, so I used regular apple cider vinegar and since we do not eat dark meat, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and wings. Also, the sauce was absolutely delicious over the rice.
May 18, 2014
This is a very tasty dish to come home to after a long days work. Very tasty, and hearty when served over rice. However I will switch to boneless pieces next time.
Jan 16, 2014
I used boneless chicken thighs. I found it to be almost too sweet, but that could have been from using dark brown sugar. If I make it again, I'll try it with light brown sugar. It was very easy to make. I layered the chicken with the sauce and served it over noodles.
Jan 11, 2014
Made this for my family and they loved it. I used boneless thighs instead of a whole chicken and it was wonderful. Served it over rice. The sauce was perfect. This is a keeper.
Jan 8, 2014
This is a very delicious meal. The chicken just falls off the bones it is so tender and moist. The sauce accents rice perfectly. It is one that I will make again and again! I did double the sauce so that I would have extra for the rice and because I did not have white vinegar I used apple cider vinegar instead but it was still wonderful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.