Favorite Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sherry or broth, salt, garlic powder and ginger; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, sugar and pineapple juice mixture until smooth; stir in vinegar, ketchup and remaining soy sauce. Set aside.
- Drain chicken and discard marinade. Place remaining cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir pineapple juice mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and reserved pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 428 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Jan 6, 2015
I have made this dish several times over the years since I first saw it in Healthy Cooking and my husband and father both enjoyed it. I have added green peppers and onions to the recipe if I have them on hand.
May 5, 2014
This one is a keeper. I added sauteed onions and bell peppers. Delicious!
Aug 18, 2013
Great! I added some stir fried green peppers and onions.
Jul 18, 2013
My family and I did not like this dish. We thought it was too sour and the ketchup flavor was too strong. Only 1 person out of 11 people loved it, everyone else thought it was either ok or couldn't finish it.
Nov 21, 2012
A little too sweet for me, but my six and three year olds loved it except for the cooked pineapple. I like the idea of adding some sauteed onion and green pepper.
Oct 29, 2012
Excellent recipe!! I made this for dinner and got so many compliments. Next time though, I would add the chicken just before you serve it. I added it too early and it got a little bit soggy
Oct 25, 2012
Did not like this. It was bitter and too sweet.
Sep 7, 2012
I make this often. It is a favorite!
May 31, 2012
Oh my goodness - this tastes so good! So much better than I thought. Better than take out! hahaha no tipping. I added/changed a couple things but this is a keeper! I used red wine instead of cider vinegar. I added 3/4 of a green pepper sauted with a dash of olive oil & 1 1/2 cups of frozen brocoili. I added the veg to the chicken and sauce at the very end. I topped the dishes after they were served with peanuts & a bit of sliced green peppers & toasted sesame seeds. Very kid friendly too - my three year old ate all of his small bowl full without any prompting :)
May 23, 2012
This recipe is EASY, Tasty, and looks great! I will make this again. Was fun to make! My family loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.