Apple Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- Minced fresh parsley
- Mix first four ingredients. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer vegetables; sprinkle with half of the salt mixture.
- Toss chicken with oil and remaining salt mixture. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in batches. Add to slow cooker. Top with bay leaf and apple. Add vinegar and cider.
- Cook, covered, on high until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 284 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Oct 9, 2017
Didn't peel the apples. Used parsley instead of caraway. Filling, but not heavy.
Sep 26, 2017
The apple juice makes the chicken very tender, but it gives too much sweetness to the dish overall. And with so little juice, there's almost no broth. It's more like chicken and vegetables cooked in juice than a stew. I think it should have been mixed with broth before cooking. While the chicken was good, I won't make this again -- it's too sweet.
Sep 27, 2013
My family loves this tasty stew! I always add additional cider or apple juice so it's consistency is more like a soup.
Feb 19, 2012
If you can peel and cube potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, 2 lbs.of chicken and an apple in 10 mins. You are far better than me. That is the supposed prep. time. The recipe was fairly good but was a lot of work before you get it into the slow cooker.
Oct 28, 2011
The caraway gives it just the right touch.
Jul 21, 2011
This recipe was a lot of work and end result was only fair.
Jan 24, 2011
This was very hearty and flavorful! My husband hates vinegar and he loved the bite and slight tartness of the stew. Definitely try this stew out!
Dec 22, 2010
I thought this was awful. It did smell fantastic while simmering though.
Oct 17, 2010
Fabulous flavor! Planning to try it with beef next time, just to change it up. Not sure how others fared with broth, but I basically had none at the end of 4 hours cooking on high, and my potatoes were mush. Perhaps it's my crockpot, but will add either more cider or some broth next time!
Feb 1, 2010
I cut this down and made it for two.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.