Sweet-and-Sour Chicken with Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup snow peas, thawed
- 1/2 medium sweet red or green pepper, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a nonstick skillet, cook the chicken, carrot and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the zucchini, peas and red pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, pepper and pineapple juice until smooth. Stir in the ketchup, lemon juice and soy sauce. Pour over chicken mixture. Add pineapple. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 307 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Mar 4, 2017
Excellent! I made this and used Shrimp instead of chicken, and it didn't disappoint! It's quick and easy to make and easily adaptable for ingredients on hand! This is definitely going into my weekly rotation of dinners!
Dec 27, 2016
A really nice alternative to high calorie takeout. Very tasty and easy to make. I also added some crushed red pepper and think I will add some garlic next time.
Mar 3, 2011
Yummy! I used veggies on hand (green pepper, red onion, carrot), and reduced the sugar. We like things a little spicy, so I added some red pepper flakes at the end. Will definitely make again!
Apr 30, 2010
This was good. When my boyfriend and I made this, he doubled the recipe, making the sweet-and-sour sauce just a bit too much, but it was still very good. The vegetable mix was great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.