Garlic Chicken & Broccoli
This simple riff on Chinese chicken proves you can savor the takeout taste you crave while still eating right. —Connie Krupp, Racine, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts and garlic. In a large bowl, mix next 7 ingredients; pour over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and broccoli are tender, 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with chicken, vegetables and hot cooked rice.
- Freeze option: Place chicken and vegetables in freezer containers; top with sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 241 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Garlic Chicken and Broccoli in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.