Pressure Cooker Garlic Chicken and Broccoli
This simple riff on a classic Chinese chicken dish proves you can savor the takeout taste you crave while still eating right. —Connie Krupp, Racine, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- Hot cooked rice
- Place the first five ingredients in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. In a large bowl, mix broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; pour over chicken mixture. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 3 minutes. Quick-release pressure. A thermometer inserted in chicken should read at least 165°. Press cancel.
- Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with chicken, vegetables and hot cooked rice.
- Freeze option: Place chicken and vegetables in freezer containers; top with sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 241 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Garlic Chicken and Broccoli in Skinny Instant Pot
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.