Szechuan Skillet Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4-1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- Mix first 6 ingredients until smooth. Cut peppers and carrots into matchsticks.
- In a large skillet, cook cashews over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally, 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry chicken until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry peppers and carrots 4 minutes. Add green onions and ginger; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Return chicken to skillet. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cashews. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup chicken mixture with 3/4 cup rice: 489 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 845mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Oct 22, 2019
Overall not bad but not enough sauce....very thick ans quickly. First time making so followed every step. Any suggestions to fix this?
Oct 7, 2019
This is the type of meal that my Husband just loves! Only cooking for the 2 of us now but I still make full size recipes because we like having leftovers even thought he could easily devour this whole pan. Quick, easy, economical
Sep 8, 2019
Easy to make, very tasty. Cut the amount of cashews in half. Will make again.