Chicken Veggie Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan. Repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining chicken.
- In same pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to chicken.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add asparagus; cook 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add to chicken and mushrooms.
- Add sherry to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1-2 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Return chicken and vegetables to pan; heat through. Remove from heat; stir in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 228 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 384mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Feb 28, 2018
Like others, I made this in a non-stick pan, but at the end, I put the juice on one side of the pan and had it over the burner only and cooked it down. Took an extra 8-10 minutes, but well worth it. Husband said this is a keeper!
Feb 4, 2018
What other vegetable can you besides asparagus or fresh green beans?
Dec 7, 2017
This has for sure made it into our monthly rotation. So easy and quick for a weeknight meal. I do add a little dry ranch dressing mix for some added punch, and it would be so easy to vary this with your favorite veggies and different spices. It’s a really great basic recipe
Jun 3, 2015
Mar 29, 2015
When I saw this , I thought it would be a good way to use up the last of some leftover turkey, so I used that instead of the chicken. I also used the end of the frozen asparagus from last years garden. It was really tasty! I will definitely make this again when I have more fresh in the garden.
Mar 25, 2015
Didn't think this had much flavor. Maybe it was because I also used a non-stick pan. Maybe next time I would add some fresh thyme with the mushrooms and finish the dish with some fresh parsley.
Mar 18, 2015
I made this recipe and it was very good. I used a non-stick skillet and I had some liquid in the pan after sauteing the chicken, which I kept and added back to the skillet with the chicken mixture as directed in step 3. It made the sauce runny so next time I will try discarding that liquid.