Chicken Sweet Potato Skillet
One of the first things my husband made for me was a variation of this chicken sweet potato skillet. Over the years, it has become a family favorite. Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado, lettuce or anything else your family likes. —MacKenzie Wright, San Antonio, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed (about 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes and onion; cook and stir until lightly browned, 5-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in chicken, black beans, zucchini, broth, salsa, red pepper and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until sweet potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes. If desired, serve with sour cream and cilantro.