Sweet Potato Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with onions, undrained
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the sweet potatoes and water in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 6 minutes or until tender; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in oil for 8-9 minutes or until juices run clear. Add the cabbage, broth, peas, tomatoes, celery, tomato juice, pepper, salt and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 250 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 907mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 14, 2011
I made this recipe for dinner tonight and it turned out great. I did not have tomato juice and instead of black eyed peas, I used a can of white cannelini beans instead. I thought it was quite yummy. I put some crescent rolls in the oven and they paired great with the hearty stew. Next time I might make it with white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes to see how it turns out.