Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
This Thanksgiving serve your spuds as soup. It makes a unique first course, and guests will love the creamy texture and flavors of ginger, cinnamon and curry. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eleven ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, top servings with pumpkin seeds.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 86 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Sweet Potato Soup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Nov 11, 2017
This is lovely...very creamy! As we LIKE ALOT of spice, we grated fresh ginger, about 3 inches worth, and added 4 large grated carrots. Fantastic recipe. Thank you!!