Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eleven ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, top servings with pumpkin seeds.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 86 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 11, 2017
This is lovely...very creamy! As we LIKE ALOT of spice, we grated fresh ginger, about 3 inches worth, and added 4 large grated carrots. Fantastic recipe. Thank you!!