Sweet Potato Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, seasoned salt, dried oregano and parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- In a large saucepan, saute celery in butter until tender. Stir in broth, water and bouillon. Add potatoes, sweet potato, turkey ham and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 161 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 891mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 3, 2017
Have been making this for years, quick, easy and inexpensive. Perfect as written and a relief for husbands who don't like real onions and who don't mind soup as long as there is meat in it! I use cream for some of the milk when I have on hand, as well as Better than Bullion.
Jan 5, 2015
Love this recipe and so does everyone else that easts it!
Sep 25, 2011
I have made this soup alot. Friends ask for the recipe. I found that you need to cut the potatoes a little larger and put in at the end, otherwise they become mushy.I cut the crushed red pepper to 1/8 tsp. This is a keeper recipe. Yummy!
Dec 31, 2009
This was a great recipe to get rid of holiday leftovers. I had a potato medley with 3 different kinds of potatos and left over ham. The creamy sauce that this chowder has is great. A definite comfort food. I think this could have healing power that would rival chicken soup. Its that good.
Dec 22, 2009
This has been a winter staple in our house since it was first published! We always add several more stalks of celery and use fresh onion instead of the dried minced onion. Also, due to a dairy allergy in our family, we now thicken it with rice milk instead of regular milk. It can have a bit of a kick for the kids, so you may want to be careful with the crushed red pepper flakes (we omit depending on which kids will be eating it that night!)
Aug 4, 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.