Sweet Potato Kale Soup
If you're looking for a healthier dish with a difference, try this recipe from Tamar Holmes of San Diego, California. White kidney beans, sweet potatoes, kale and plenty of garlic flavor this brothy blend. "It's the perfect winter soup and has soothed me through many a cold," Tamar notes. "It's a cinch to make, too."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups chopped fresh kale
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion and Italian seasoning in oil until onion is tender.
- Stir in the broth, beans, sweet potatoes and kale. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 150 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Kale Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2004