Potato Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 3 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring potatoes, onion, water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Do not drain; mash slightly. Stir in milk.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend the butter, flour, parsley and pepper; stir into the potato mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and stir until almost melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 291 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 565mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 8, 2014
Absolutely amazing. So good I only got four servings lol. So easy to make, had everything on hand. I used good old cheddar cheese, and grated one garlic clove near the end and let simmer. Thank you for a great recipe.
Feb 27, 2012
my family loved it!! The only thing I will do next time is make a bigger batch.
Feb 3, 2012
This is a perfect basic recipe with many possible variations
Jun 13, 2010
I love this soup! I add sliced carrot and celery rib, and I use unpeeled red potatoes (or new potatoes, as we call them around here). I mash about half of the potatoes and leave the rest in chunks.