Potato Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 3 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring potatoes, onion, water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Do not drain; mash slightly. Stir in milk.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend the butter, flour, parsley and pepper; stir into the potato mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and stir until almost melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 291 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 565mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Dec 8, 2014
Absolutely amazing. So good I only got four servings lol. So easy to make, had everything on hand. I used good old cheddar cheese, and grated one garlic clove near the end and let simmer. Thank you for a great recipe.
Feb 27, 2012
my family loved it!! The only thing I will do next time is make a bigger batch.
Feb 3, 2012
This is a perfect basic recipe with many possible variations
Jun 13, 2010
I love this soup! I add sliced carrot and celery rib, and I use unpeeled red potatoes (or new potatoes, as we call them around here). I mash about half of the potatoes and leave the rest in chunks.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.