Swiss Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add water, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir in potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 455 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1218mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Nov 28, 2016
Oh. My. This is sooooo good. I had Swiss cheese in the fridge but when I went to get it to make this soup, it was gone so I used sharp cheddar and it was still so good. This will be made over and over again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Sep 16, 2012
this is one of the best soups i have every had.
Jan 31, 2012
Nov 20, 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.