Best Ever Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally; drain drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. If desired, serve with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 13, 2019
Omg simply amazing I used 2 cups heavy creamy little milk and....BAM---I kicked it up a notch!!!! Ty very good will tell every one
Mar 9, 2019
Easy to make and delicious! Definitely a keeper.
Mar 4, 2019
This is a very good Potato Soup Recipe, but not a Pennsylvania Dutch Recipe. (That's the reason for the average rating.) Pennsylvania Dutch cooking doesn't have many ingredients. Potatoes, milk or cream, celery, salt and pepper. For protein, sliced hard boiled eggs are the topper. Eggs and potatoes were abundant in the area
Feb 4, 2019
2 giant thumbs up! made this for super bowl Sunday and it was a huge hit! changed the recipe a bit to make more than the recipe made and it was awesome! definitely a redo recipe!! I used about 4.5 cups of potato cubes and made more cream sauce using 4 cups of milk and 4 tablespoons of flour. I am not a big soup person but this will show up on my table many more times!!
Jan 29, 2019
I can't see a reason for adding milk to a hearty soup, I hate milky soups
Jan 28, 2019
https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/perfect-potato-soup/ This ?? This is the best potato soup ever. No need for processed velveeta here, the flavor and texture is incredible. I always make the pioneer woman potato soup recipe.
Jan 28, 2019
Love potatoes-will try to get it made at home or will try it at a good restaurant.-lovely,yummy
Jan 20, 2019
This was very, very good. Made it just as recipe stated. Will definitely save! Thank you for sharing.
Jan 19, 2019
The name says it all - we had a luncheon at our house and 6 of the 6 people said the soup was delicious. One of the men asked me to give his wife the recipe
Jan 18, 2019
So good!!! My husband and daughter love this. We like to add a few more potatoes and water. Yum!!