Best Ever Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally; drain drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. If desired, serve with green onions.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 6, 2020
1/13/2020 I'd made this recipe and the only ingredient not used were the green onions. Everything else was kept as recipe directed!
Jan 22, 2020
to finish my review ( it always gets cut in half)
Jan 21, 2020
Love this soup! It’s fabulous with bacon OR ham.... I used cheddar instead of velvets.
Jan 15, 2020
This was a delicious and satisfying soup. The only thing I did differently was to thicken it with potato flakes instead of flour. I think you could use whatever cheese your family likes to eat and it would be just as great. It’s a keeper.
Jan 11, 2020
Just looking at the length of ingredients turns me off, and so does the bacon. Processed cheese food? That's not even real cheese. I have a potato soup recipe that uses Colby Longhorn. Short, simple and always gone as soon as it's ready.
Dec 10, 2019
This soup is amazing and super easy! I suggest prepping/cutting everything first and then begin the cooking. I made it my own by using 2 stalks of fresh celery instead of celery seed, adding some butter at the end, using fresh sharp cheddar instead of velveeta, added fresh garlic, and added the onion to the cooking bacon about 5 minutes in, cooking for a while longer, then draining to really add a deep flavor. I also sprinkled with paprika at the end- amazing!
Nov 15, 2019
Wow! Just delicious! Used cheddar instead of Velveeta, added a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce and some garlic powder. Cooked the onion in the bacon grease. Next time, will add a can of cream of corn.
Oct 27, 2019
This is delicious and incredibly easy! Definitely adding this to the rotation. Followed the recipe exactly, except we didn't have any celery seed so I omitted that. Still turned out fab!
Sep 29, 2019
I made this the other night. It is so good. I highly recommend it. Even my husband loved it. I use half and half instead of milk, makes it more creamy. I just followed the recipe.
Sep 10, 2019
This is absolutely fabuloso, followed recipe as written yummm