Polly’s Perfect Potato Soup
My stepmom, Polly, would often place bowls of this creamy potato soup in front of us, along with salad, homemade bread and orange slices for dessert. Always perfectly seasoned, this recipe never disappointed.—Teresa Ambord, Anderson, California
Total TimePrep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 6 medium potatoes, (about 4 pounds) peeled and cubed
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- Optional: Shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon
- Place potatoes in a large stockpot or Dutch oven; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered until very tender, 20-25 minutes; drain well, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Return potatoes to stockpot or Dutch oven; mash until desired consistency. Return pan to heat and add milk, heavy cream, butter, garlic and seasonings; heat on medium-low until heated through, 5-10 minutes, adding reserved cooking liquid to thin soup to desired consistency. Serve warm. Top with green onions. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and bacon.