Easy Slow-Cooker Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: crumbled cooked bacon and chopped green onions
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine broth, potatoes, onion, garlic and pepper. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Mash potatoes to desired consistency. Whisk in cream cheese until melted. Stir in half-and-half. Cook, covered, until heated through, 5-10 minutes longer. Serve with cheese and, if desired, bacon and green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 294 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 711mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Mar 31, 2020
I made this recipe yesterday snd it is delicious. I used a hand held blender to thicken the soup instead of mashing and was able to get a nice thick soup without adding the added calories and cholesterol of Cream cheese and 1/2 and 1/2. I topped it with crisp bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and green onions. Great for a cold dreary day!!!!
Feb 28, 2020
This was a tasty recipe. I did put bacon and cheese on top. If a recipe says you can add bacon, you can bet I’ll be adding it.
Jan 28, 2020
Such an easy and tasty recipe! My husband really liked it!
Jan 15, 2020
Delicious and so easy! It had a nice smokey flavor. I cut the recipe down by a fourth; and served it with a sweet cornbread.