Slow-Cooked Loaded Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8-1/4 hours
Makes12 servings (4 quarts)
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 10 cups)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- Place potatoes and onion in a 6-qt. slow cooker; add broth, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Mash potatoes to desired consistency. Stir in cream cheese, cream and butter. Cook, covered, 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Just before serving, whisk soup to combine. Top servings with bacon, cheese and chives.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 447 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1512mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 16, 2019
This was a huge waste of ingredients. Way to much chicken stock, cream cheese never melted - had large lumps no matter how hard I stirred. I tried a bowl and threw that away along with the remaining 11 servings.
Jan 14, 2019
Made this tonight - AMAZING!!!
Feb 21, 2018
Great soup, followed the recipe exactly. Tied for first place at work soup off. will be making again soon. Thank You
Feb 5, 2018
Very easy to make. It was also very tasty! The cream cheese made it so creamy and delicious! It would also be delicious to add chopped ham if you wanted to instead of topping with the bacon.
Dec 14, 2016
I've always loved loaded potato soup at restaurants, and found this while looking for a DIY, no MSG version. I've made this recipe three times now, and my children never tire of requesting it! Even my VERY picky 5yo keeps asking for "that potato soup", and never eats fewer than 2 bowls at a sitting. THANK YOU for posting this recipe! Instead of using only cream cheese, I used half cream cheese and half cheddar. I've also made it stovetop only by boiling the potatoes, onions, garlic and seasonings in the broth for about 35 minutes, then proceeding with the recipe. REALLY cuts down on prep time if you're not patient enough for the slow-cooker! ;)
Oct 11, 2016
This recipe is very easy to throw together. It's great for a weeknight meal. I like to leave the skins on the potato.
Oct 26, 2015
I made this and I love it! Definitely a keeper!
Jan 7, 2015
We made this at work for one of our weekly lunches. Two full crockpots and there was nothing left! We also added some mined garlic and a bit more pepper, gave it a bit more spice.
Jan 6, 2015
This was easy to make and had great flavor. I wish that the cream cheese had mixed in a bit better. I left the skin on the potatoes because my boys really like the flavor skins add. Everyone agreed it was a do again.
Oct 28, 2014
Super easy and everyone loved! Even co-workers asked for the recipe after they tried it! Added some corn and chopped ham to add some more bulk as a twist. Def making again!! Thanks!