Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Sour cream and pepitas, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients except sour cream and pepitas. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, top servings with sour cream and pepitas.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 215 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 637mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 1, 2019
This was delicious! I used an instant pot and sauteed onions and celery first. I didn't have chipotle pepper so subbed smoky paprika. All the other ingredients and measurements seemed spot on for me. Loved the added creaminess of the sour cream and the crunch of the pepitas.
Nov 6, 2018
I skipped the Chipotle pepper and used less thyme( don't like spicy). Texture was perfect, but I will reduce black pepper next time. A bit too much for me.
May 2, 2018
Really enjoyed this! I left out the ground chipotle pepper, but would like to try it next time. Love it with the sour cream!
Oct 23, 2017
I used my IP to make this soup instead of the slow cooker. If I had had some carrots, I would have added those in this as I think it needs it. Other than that, no changes