Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Sour cream and pepitas, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients except sour cream and pepitas. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, top servings with sour cream and pepitas. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 215 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 637mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
May 2, 2018
Really enjoyed this! I left out the ground chipotle pepper, but would like to try it next time. Love it with the sour cream!
Oct 23, 2017
I used my IP to make this soup instead of the slow cooker. If I had had some carrots, I would have added those in this as I think it needs it. Other than that, no changes
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.