Slow-Cooked Minestrone Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cubed deli ham
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are almost tender.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the macaroni. Cover and cook until macaroni is tender. Stir in the tomatoes and spinach; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 112 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 7, 2019
The perfect comforting soup for a cold winter day! This is a hearty soup without being too heavy thanks to lots of filling veggies. The ham adds a great saltiness but could be taken out to make the soup vegetarian or vegan-friendly (paired with veggie stock instead of chicken stock). This is also a recipe that could be doubled easily for an economical way to feed a crowd. A hands-down winner at my house!