Slow-Cooked Minestrone Soup
When this colorful minestrone has about 30 minutes left to cook, I add the macaroni. Then there's time to male some garlic bread and a simple salad. —Kara de la Vega, Santa Rosa, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cubed deli ham
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are almost tender.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the macaroni. Cover and cook until macaroni is tender. Stir in the tomatoes and spinach; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 112 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Minestrone Soup in Quick Cooking November/December 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.