Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 3 hours
- 3 pounds cubed peeled potatoes (about 9 medium)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven, adding water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Mash with cream cheese, sour cream, butter and milk. Stir in bacon, cheeses, onions and seasonings. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer to a greased 3- or 4-quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 3-3-1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 505 calories, 36g fat (20g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 20, 2018
I tried these once and I personally liked them but the rest of my family didn’t. They said “just please stick to the plain, old fashioned mashed potatoes from now on“ meaning very creamy with lots of butter and milk, salt & pepper. I love trying new recipes but it’s no fun when your family doesn’t enjoy it so I try them out for potluck dinners!
Dec 26, 2016
I prepared these potatoes for our Christmas dinner this year. We love loaded mashed potatoes but I was short on oven space so the slow cooker was perfect. These potatoes were the hit of the dinner. I made a couple of changes. I used 5 lbs. of potatoes for my crowd and omitted the green onions because of personal preferences. They were fabulous. Barely two helpings were left at the end of dinner. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor.
Dec 19, 2016
My husband made these for Thanksgiving and they are GREAT ! Suggest a liner in the crock pot for easier cleaning. My son tried making them and they were too soupy. Problem is that hubby used an old-fashioned hand masher and son used his mixer "to save time". Hubby's were much better and they weren't soupy !!!
Nov 26, 2016
Love that you can make these ahead of time, then cook them in the slow cooker for added convenience! So tasty and a comfort food for sure!
Mar 27, 2016
I've made this twice now, and they are so yummy. Very rich tasting. Because of time constraints, I actually cooked it both times in the oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes and it turned out perfect!
Mar 3, 2015
My potatoes were firm when they were mashed and refrigerated but turned soft and soupy when reheated in the slow cooker. Maybe it was because I used low fat cream cheese and non fat sour cream. Tasted good but not appealing
Jan 4, 2015
I thought these were great but they got a little to thick after 3 hours on low. They tasted better at around 1 1/2 to 2 hours on low.
Dec 26, 2014
After making these 3 times, I've decided they're too rich. Don't think I'll make them again.
Oct 19, 2014
Was hoping these were going to be delicious, but we only thought they were so-so. Probably won't make again.
Sep 14, 2014
Incredible! I will be making this again.