Slow Cooker Spicy Sweet Potato Chili
While this recipe contains no meat, it still has plenty of protein—plus vitamins and minerals. I love sweet potatoes, and they're even better mixed with black beans. Serve the chili with crackers or even spooned into tortilla shells (yes, I made sweet potato tacos out of this). —Jennifer Butz, Atlanta, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine first nine ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until sweet potatoes are tender, 4-5 hours. Just before serving, stir in cilantro.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 300 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 811mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 12g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.