Cabbage Barley Soup
My neighbor had an abundance of cabbage, so a group of us had a contest to see who could come up with the best cabbage dish. My hearty barley soup was the clear winner—they ate the whole pot! —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 4 cups water
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (about 16 ounces)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Place first eight ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add cabbage. Cook, covered, on low until lentils are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Stir in mushrooms and salt. Cook, covered, on low until mushrooms are tender, 15-20 minutes. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 197 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Cabbage and Barley Soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.