Kielbasa Cabbage Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the cabbage, onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Combine the water, vinegar and brown sugar; add to cabbage mixture.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 256 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 15, 2014
My family loves this recipe, including the kids. I do sauté the sausage first, to bring out the flavor. I remove the sausage and add the onion, cabbage, and garlic to the drippings, and sauté. I leave out the caraway seeds, because I do not care for them in anything I cook.
Mar 2, 2014
Excellent. I used balsamic vinegar which gave it a very unique flavor. Everyone asks for the recipe after tasting it.
Sep 17, 2013
Excellent!. I used fully cooked chicken sausage with apples and a combination of chicken broth, bouillon and water. I would definitely make this soup again.
Dec 27, 2012
I made this soup tonight and it turned out fantastic! I made some small changes -- used broth instead of water and cole slaw instead of a cabbage head. I rated, reviewed and photographed my version: http://scrumptiouscyn.com/kielbasa-cabbage-soup/ Thanks for the great recipe!
Sep 6, 2012
My family loves this soup. It's a winner!
Apr 24, 2012
Excellent! I used turkey kielbasa, and we had to cook it pretty long over low heat, but the end result was well worth it.
Jan 8, 2012
FIVE STARS. I am making again today. January 8th, 2012. Last time I made Nov.4th. Everyone love it. Best taste after day old. I thank to my grandma-in-law.
Nov 4, 2011
I made it and my family loves it. I remembered I made that about 30 years ago with "smoke pork butt" and Kielbasa in slow cooker. It was so good. Try it and you will like it.
Nov 2, 2011
I've made this recipe many, many times for my family and friends.... Everyone always seems to love, love, love it!!! It's a good one for a cold fall or winter dinner...