Cabbage Roll Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Hot cooked rice and chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Mix first 9 ingredients. Place cabbage in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef and sausage with onion and garlic over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 7-9 minutes; drain. Spoon over cabbage; top with tomato mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low until cabbage is tender and flavors are blended, 5-6 hours. If desired, serve with rice and sprinkle with parsley.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups cabbage mixture: 195 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 564mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 30, 2018
I had left over cabbage and wasn't sure what to do with it until I found this recipe. This will be my go to recipe for leftover cabbage! This soup is so delicious!
Jan 3, 2018
This is a good recipe. Cabbage is a favorite veggie is this house, so it hit the spot. Will make it again and try some red pepper and black pepper since I didn’t have Cajun seasoning this time, but added oregano and thyme. We don’t like real spicy food.
Dec 1, 2017
We made this at work for our cafeteria as part of a smart pick option for the staff. We omitted the salt to reduce the sodium to fit the criteria. Our customers and staff loved it. Very hearty.
Nov 5, 2017
If you like stuffed cabbage but don't like the tedious work involved .... this is the recipe for you! VERY easy to make and when served with rice... tastes just like my mother's stuffed cabbage rolls. I changed a few things to fit what I had on hand: I used 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes (instead of 2 14.5 ounce cans), 1 14 ounce can of tomato sauce (instead of 1 8 ounce can), I used 1/2 teaspoon of smoked black pepper (instead of Cajun seasoning), 2 pound ground beef (instead of beef and sausage) and used 2 tablespoons of dried sliced onion (instead of 1 medium onion, chopped). This recipe will surely go into my frequently used recipe rotation, 5 stars for sure!
Nov 4, 2017
Delicious recipe! I added some caraway seed because we like that with cabbage. We had it with noodles.