Beef Cabbage Roll-Ups
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Cook cabbage in boiling water just until the leaves fall off head. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of 12 large leaves, making a V-shaped cut; set aside. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.)
- In a large bowl, combine the potato, carrot, celery, green pepper, onion, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well.
- Shape into 12 logs. Place one log on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling. Secure with a toothpick.
- Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over roll-ups. Sprinkle with basil and parsley. Cover and bake at 350° until a thermometer reads 160° and cabbage is tender, 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 cabbage rolls: 251 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 584mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 4, 2010
I used ground turkey instead of beef and I wouldn't recommend it. The turkey makes it too bland. Something else to consider, this recipe takes longer than 30 minutes to prep -- I'd say more like 45-60 minutes unless you have help. In general though, it was unique and delicious :).
Jun 19, 2009
I originally found this recipie in yur simple Italian cooking mag. It is wonderful. I also addapted it to a slow cooker so I can go off for the day and come home to a wonderful smelling home and dinner almost ready.JoyceBeaverton, Oregon